|Milford Borough was incorporated on December 25, 1874. Prior to that, Milford was part of Milford Township. Back then, settlers and Native Americans who lived here enjoyed the blessings of rich forests, beautiful lakes, and the fresh waters of the Delaware River and the streams that feed into it. We invite you to do the same.
The village was laid out by John Biddis in 1796. He named the streets after his children and family, and the lanes after his favorite fruits and berries. Judge Biddis took his inspiration from the design of Philadelphia, the nation's first capitol. Some say the name Milford came from Milford Haven in Wales, where John Biddis' father William was born. Others say the Wells' mill and the spot where the Delaware was forded resulted in the name Mill-Ford.
Milford is the County Seat of Pike County. The Milford population taken in the 2000 census was 1,104, in one-half of a square mile. Pike County is projected to grow almost 30% by 2010, so Milford will grow in importance as the principal trade and services center to local residents, offering entertainment and community activities.